Friday, July 16

A Dutchman in Britain, by Chyld

OK, this should have gone up yesterday by all rights, but I was knackered. So it's going up today.
 
For the rest of this week, you've enjoyed the endeovers of me on a boat with ten other people for a week. Now listen as we hear the endeovers of SuperMarct's week-long visit to our fair and cloudy land. Funny how one evening can be streached out over a week of updates, while two weeks can be crammed into a smaller space...
 
Monday
 
At about 3pm this Monday, I decided to stop talking to my lady for long enough to put up the days update. Having not heard from Super at all, I wasn't quite sure what was happening. At all.
 
Halfway to my bedroom to fetch my pen drive, my phone rang. And an unfamiliar voice declared that he was at the station. Amersham station. Evidently, he'd wasted no time in coming up...
 
Making my excuses, abandoning the update for now, and grabbing my Vans, I made all speed up the hill.
 
Only one person stood by the station, vaguely familiar from a picture as sent by MSN. He however had no way of mistaking who I was. The hair and the trademark beanie gave it away. He was Marc, alias Super, and I was Andrew, alias Chyld.
 
Then began the process of meeting the crew. We met Johnny Napalm in the expanses of the park, I caught up with his news, he caught up with mine, and Super just absorbed.
 
After wandering Amersham for a bit, we left Johnny, ate at my place, uploaded the update, then did what any self respecting Dutchmen and Britons should do - run off to the pub.
 
On our sojurn, we encountered TinyOne, fresh from trying to sort out things with her ex. I refuse to talk about said topic, because I'll be incredibly rude, and he'll be even more angry. But essentially, I was happy to have my girlfriend by my side, and Super was happy to meet another Chyldling.
 
The pub trip ended with me and Super rolling out, him retiring to his place of accomidation, and me rolling off home drunk...
 
Tuesday
 
For some ungodly reason, the whole Less Is More crew: Amersham and kind-of-Beaconsfield Branch were supposed to be meeting at Amersham station at 10am to go to Camden. But TinyOne had work, AmyJay just didn't want to, and Johnny had less money in the world than I did. So it was just us two.
 
There's nothing very much to say about Camden that hasn't been said in many better places before, but I took the oppertunity to top up on 1" badges and a new chain, and Super... followed, looking at the identical rows of shops. We did have a pub break, in order to bitch about pidgeons and tourists.
 
Eventually, we got back to my place, and repeated the exercise of the previous night, minus my lady. However, having had no luck finding somewhere for Super to crash for the night, I unloaded the camp bed and erected it in my room. Not bad, given the circumstances.
 
Wednesday
 
Bad planning to the fore! I had no idea what to do today, except in the evening. IE, the crew in the pub. We wandered Amersham for a bit, we watched The Two Towers, and then we left for the pub.
 
At long last, Amy met Marc, and Marc met Amy, and we all started the long process of getting drunk. Ah, nothing like routi...
 
And a man came up to us. "You taking part in the quiz? A fiver a head, and it goes to charity!"
 
Ah, what the heck, its for a good cause...
 
And thus, Less Is More took part in the Eagles pub quiz.
 
We did astoundingly well in the flag guessing round, thanks to Super's seemingly endless knowledge of flags and accurate guessing, but elsewhere we did struggle a wee bit. We only came second last, which was satisfactory. The free chilli did help a bit...
 
Thursday
 
The plan here was: wake up at 11-12, Super leaves at 1. A bit of computer time, but otherwise sorted. However, fate is a bitch. We woke up at 10, and his bus came at 2. I swear, I've never been so embaressed to be in front of a computer for so long.
 
Strangly, he didn't seem quite so pissed off with this arrangement as I thought. We parted, me asking him for an update by today, him glad of the time spent. Altogether, a good parting.
 
In that time, he ate:

In total. I kid you not, I could not get him to eat anything! But apart from that, twas an intriguing experience. If for no other reason, then a prime example of how not to arrange an internet meet-up.

In a bit, you'll be able to read Super's view on it. Or maybe you already have...


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?